LOVE IS CONCRETE

I know there is that age old saying about the demise of youth beginning with Sex, Drugs, and Rock&Roll. In this post I feel like isolating Rock Music. And for ease of discussion I'm not talking about Christian Rock.

Anyway, I get it, I mean, I get why Rock Music has been historically cast in a negative light. It's loud and rowdy, it inspires rebellion against authority, it facilitates drug use and promiscuity (doesn't it???) But, besides the drug use - if there is even a correlation there (and probably there isn't) - is there really anything inherently sinful about rock music and the culture that surrounds it? Isn't rebellion sometimes necessary? And isn't it natural to want that auditory and tactile stimulation that comes from pounding drums and crunching guitars and throbbing bass? I mean, how is that any different from enjoying a classical sonata or an expensive massage? God says "Shout to the Lord" and "make a joyful noise" so surely it's not the decibel level that's problematic.

So how come when I'm at a rock show I often feel like I've left God at the door? Why do I (and I suspect some others) have a hard time bridging the enjoyment of this particularly rowdy form of recreation with a God who seems also to command respect, reverence, silence, humility, austerity?

The short answer, I would guess, has something to do with guilt? Like, we're wrongfully made to feel that way? Or maybe there really is something to it. Anyway, I thought I'd open it up to discussion, if anyone has any ideas about this. Like, if people have already come to terms with this, please tell me about that!

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sin is a word i'm not fond of.

my friend Ken helped redefine it for me once: "a sidestep taken as a result of pain".

in that light, if our pain is too great to bear and we do ANYTHING that sidesteps health, it fits that definition. The interactive and uncontrolled environment of a rock show is not inherently unhealthy, in my opinion. I go, not to "lose myself", but gain a better clarity of things. To build up my courage to look at the hard things.

i tend to fight against the overarching rule in churches that says that God requires us to composed and "collected" in order to come before Him in worship.

In some ways, we use our view of the "composed and collected God" and our need for forced reverence before Him to keep us in a state of perpetual spiritual paralysis. So, by the previous definition of sin, i would say our mindset about God could be just as much a sin as anything else.

Best to just lean towards health and relationship in every case, and let the chips fall. Pain is inevitable. Jesus was afraid but didn't flinch from doing what he knew he had to for the joy that was on the other side of the pain of the sacrifice. I like how Jesus does stuff.

RSS

Latest Activity

SOMETHING TO PONDER..

“There is plenty of courage among us for the abstract but not for the concrete.” - Helen Keller

“Love, like truth and beauty, is concrete. Love is not fundamentally a sweet feeling; not, at heart, a matter of sentiment, attachment, or being "drawn toward." Love is active, effective, a matter of making reciprocal and mutually beneficial relation with one's friends and enemies. Love creates righteousness, or justice, here on earth. To make love is to make justice. As advocates and activists for justice know, loving involves struggle, resistance, risk.” - Carter Heyward

Free video chat by Ustream

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Created by Todd Fadel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service